Syndicate content

Printer-friendly version

Send to friend

Reproduction

1,339

views

311

zip downloads

20,051

YouTube views

M2 Repro landing page image

Image adapted from Pachango under a Creative Commons license: BY-NC-SA.

Term: 2010
Published: March 16, 2010
Revised: August 7, 2014

This sequence provides a comprehensive physiologic and pathologic overview of male and female reproduction, including normal human sexuality, normal human reproduction, abnormalities of sexual function, evaluation and management of infertility, parturition, and fertility control. Breast function and breast disease are also addressed.

Sequence Directors:
Caren Stalburg, M.D.
Gary Smith, Ph.D.

dScribe: Sarah Sophia Na

Syllabus

Goals and Objectives

This final sequence of your M2 year will provide a comprehensive physiologic and pathologic overview of male and female reproduction, including normal human sexuality, normal human reproduction, abnormalities of sexual function, evaluation and management of infertility, parturition, and fertility control. Breast function and breast disease will also be addressed. Each lecturer has provided learning objectives to help you focus on important information and principles.

Sequence Structure

The sequence will include general lectures, a patient presentation requiring mandatory attendance with appropriate professional attire and white coats, a required lecture, required small groups, and pathology laboratories. Small group sessions will require your active participation and will focus on clinical issues in gynecology and obstetrics. Instructors are faculty members in the departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pathology, Urology, General Surgery, and the Schools of Nursing and Social Work.

Patient Presentations/MDCs/Required Lectures/Required Small Groups

There is one patient presentation activity scheduled on 3/13/2009 from 1-3 PM and one mandatory lecture on 3/17/09 from 11-12 AM. Required small groups are scheduled for 3/16/09 from either 1-3 PM or 3-5 PM.

Attendance is mandatory for these events and will require appropriate professional attire including white coats for the Patient Presentation.

You will not pass this sequence if you fail to attend these events or if you do not have a previously arranged excused absence from the course director. Excused absences must be confirmed by your class counselor—-Mr. Eric Middleton.

Excused absences will require additional make-up work beyond watching the video of the session and will be arranged on an individual basis.

Recommended Textbooks

1) Tanagho, Smith's General Urology, 17th Edition, McGraw-Hill 2007

2) Hacker, Gambone, & Hobel, Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 5th edition, Saunders 2009

The new Hacker and Moore edition allows for additional downloads to a PDA and follows APGO/CREOG's "Educational Objectives: Core Curriculum in Ob/Gyn".

Examinations and Grading

A comprehensive exam consisting of approximately 80 multiple choice questions with one best answer will be administered and will account for 90% of your grade. An on-line pathology laboratory practical exam will comprise the remaining 10% of your grade. Questions will be drawn from all educational activities during the sequence: lectures, lecture notes, pathology laboratory, and assigned readings as specified by individual instructors. Learning Objectives have been provided to help you focus your efforts.

Grading will comply with M2 grading policies. A pass/fail system will be used, and a cumulative grade of 75% or higher will be required for a passing score. Cumulative grades of 74.99% or lower will be assigned a failing grade.

Course Faculty

J. Bailey, UMH Nurse-Midwifery
J. Bell, Obstetrics & Gynecology
V. Cimmino, General Surgery
G. J. Faerber, Urology
T. R. B. Johnson, Obstetrics & Gynecology
R. W. Lieberman, Pathology
D. Morgan, Obstetrics and Gynecology
D. Ohl, Urology
M. R. Punch, Obstetrics and Gynecology
J. F. Randolph, Obstetrics and Gynecology
R. Shah, Pathology
G. D. Smith, Obstetrics and Gynecology
C. M. Stalburg, Obstetrics and Gynecology
C. van de Ven, Obstetrics and Gynecology

Reading List

Recommended Textbooks

1) Tanagho, Smith's General Urology, 17th Edition, McGraw-Hill 2007

2) Hacker, Gambone, & Hobel, Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 5th edition, Saunders 2009

The new Hacker and Moore edition allows for additional downloads to a PDA and follows APGO/CREOG's "Educational Objectives: Core Curriculum in Ob/Gyn".
 

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International
This Work, Reproduction, by The Regents of the University of Michigan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license.