OERca2 Current Design Documents
Functionality Questions - from the August 28 meeting
Version 2 proposal and requirements
Proposed Version 2 Functionality - December 2008
Usability testing and planning
User Scenarios - who might need software support and what support they might need
October 17 through November 17- Survey/Questionnaire and interview protocol development
- An online survey will be developed and sent to all OERca users. The goal of the survey will be to obtain general OERca feedback that could be useful in Version 2 development, but also to obtain data related to content organization and personal information management which will be necessary for applying the "bin" metaphor to version 2.
- Interview questions and tasks geared at understanding content management in the dScribe context will be developed.
November 17 through December 1- Survey with dScribes and other users
- Data from the survey will be collected and interpreted
- Interviews/testing with dScribes will be scheduled
December 1-15- Interviews/card sorting/ talk aloud observations with dScribes
- The interviews and testing will take place, as a report of the findings is prepared and presented for application to version 2 development
Some of the reasoning why the people at COSL (eduCommons) used Plone/Zope/Python instead of MySQL/PHP. 
TurboGears framework 
Flickr Architecture Document 
Items to research
- OpenOffice.org api http://api.openoffice.org/
- Detecting embedded content e.g. images, videos, sound (Content Objects) and noting the page number, size, location of CO on page. Attempting to extract line-art on top of images along with the image would be great.
- Creating context images from Powerpoint/OpenOffice Impress.
- Working with PDF edit plugin http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport to see if we can import and edit PDFs this way.
- Extracting text from files and integrating with indexing service.
- Doc decomp optimization and refinement
- Decomp multiple docs in parallel.
- Investigate filters for other document types.
- Add text extraction.
- Web Service frameworks. Wrap the current doc-decomp with some sort of web framework so decomp jobs can be dispatched to the service and done asynchronously. Ideally the framework generated should be RESTful. A list of frameworks is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Web_service_Frameworks
- Document text indexing. Linked to and possibly dependent on decomp.
- Look at imgSeek http://www.imgseek.net/ to see if we can index images in the uploads with it. The server side component of it is at http://server.imgseek.net/ and examples of use are given at http://server.imgseek.net/category/documentation/examples/ . This may be a great enhancement that combines with the above.
- Crawling sites for import to OERca.
- COs present in sites.
- Textual content.
- Investigate dynamic pages.
- Content packaging formats.
- IMS Content Package. Particularly see how to bridge OERca/OERca2 and eduCommons.
- IMS Common Cartridge.
- Make Plone product from Kathleen/Piet's eduCommons UI work so it can be easily installed instead of having to import and edit numerous files.